Friday, January 23, 2015

Prolotherapy

 
Hello there friends.  I want to share with you some progress i've made in regards to fighting the Chronic Pain of having Joint Hyper Mobility with joint pain.
 
Since I was the age of 9 I have had what I thought were really bad growing pains.  My knees and wrists and fingers and toes would all ache to the point of tears.  I have dealt with that aching pain now for well over 30 years and was told that no one could help me.
 
My Doctor basically does not know what to do with me anymore, he has helped me as far as he can in regards to getting my medications to help.  He is not familiar with Hyper Mobile Joints.  On our last appointment he suggested I go to a Spinal Clinic where they specialize in chronic pain and he said hopefully they would be able to help my Hyper Mobile Joint issue too.
 
So... I go to my first appointment at the Spinal Clinic and...
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
I meet Vicky.
Vicky who listens to me,
Vicky who understands me,
and Vicky who reads my body like an open book and knows exactly where my tender points are!
 
She immediately assessess my body and determines that I should be wearing a 'hip-belt' and (Im not kidding) the second she helped put it on my hips I felt relief!  Relief that I haven't felt in a long time.
 
She also looked at how misaligned my body was and proceeded to realign me. 
 
Then she said words that I have never heard coming from someone in the medical profession before...
 
"I can help you."
 
These words were music to my soul.
 
In this one appointment I received so much hope.
 
She told me about a medical procedure called PROLOTHERAPY.
 
 
Prolotherapy (aka Regenerative Injection Therapy – RIT), also known as ligament reconstructive therapy or sclerotherapy, is a recognized orthopedic procedure that stimulates the body's natural healing processes to strengthen joints weakened by trauma or arthritis. Joints weakened when ligaments and tendons are stretched, torn, or fragmented, become hypermobile and painful. Traditional approaches with anti-inflammatory drugs and surgery often fail to stabilize the joint and relieve pain permanently. Prolotherapy has the unique ability to directly address the cause of instability and repair the weakened sites, resulting in permanent stabilization of the joint. When precisely injected into the site of pain or injury, prolotherapy creates a mild, controlled inflammation which stimulates the body to lay down new tendon or ligament fibers, resulting in a strengthening of the weakened structure. When the joint becomes strong, pain will be relieved.
 
 
 
 
(Prolotherapy is a series of injections of local anasthetic and a form of Glucose)
 

This week I had my first Prolo session and I'm not going to lie to you, it HURT!
I was scared before hand but I had my Church praying over me that I would have strength to endure the painful procedure.
 
 
 
A friend of mine mentioned that I should use music to distract me, so as soon as I learned the basics of the procedure I asked the Nurse Practitioner if it was okay that I distract myself with music and he agreed that would be fine.
 
The Nurse injected into 15 key points, but within each point he moved around to inject further into the joints, my husband said there were probably 80 injections in all.  I was stoked that I made it through.
 
Right after the first three injections into my spine I had to lay on my back with my feet up to get rid of the nausea that came on from the painful injection, but within a minute the nausea went away and I turned over and right to it again.
 
I was so proud of myself and so thankful for the prayers and the power of God that got me through.
 
I will know how well this procedure has taken within three months as it needs to build up layers and heal itself in all the areas affected.
 
I'm praying this will be a life changer for me and will bring back some quality into my life.
 
Many blessings Friends.
 
Sincerely;
Kelly
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment