Thursday, May 23, 2013

Being Positive With A Chronic Illness

(Artwork by Artist Kelly Watts 2013)
 
So you have a Chronic Illness, your pain is through the roof, you've pretty much been through the ringers with the Doctors, and you are probably pretty depressed fighting for strength every day.
 
How do you stay positive?
 
This is a very hard question to answer.  Your first thought was probably something like, "Stay positive... pffffft... I am just trying to survive here!"
 
I fully understand.  I fight my negative thoughts every day.
 
However, what I have found to benefit me tremendously is changing my perspective...
 
For example;
I have written in journals since I was nine years old but whenever I read through them again I would get further depressed because all of my writing, venting, ranting and raving was negative.  Just reading them took me down the emotional rollercoaster re-experiencing all the bumps and hills over again.
 
So a few years back I decided to start a 'Positive Journal' and in this journal I would only write about good things.  If I experienced something bad or emotional I would try to find something positive about the situation and write about that instead.
 
This process allowed me to find the positive in bad situations, it allowed me to change my focus and change my life.  I went from being a complainer of everything to an optimistic 'cup is half full' kind of gal.
 
I am not saying that this happened overnight... this is a process.
It takes time to change how you think.
 
 
How will changing the way you think help you with your Chronic Illness?
 
Being positive allows you to focus on all the good things in your life; it will help you to see through the brain fog and the pain that you are experiencing so that you can accept the goodness that surrounds you.
 
It calms your soul so that you will not be consumed with needless worry.
 
Dealing with pain 24/7 makes it very difficult to think at all but when you are able to think clearer at least then you will be nourishing your soul with good thoughts instead of poisoning it with negative thoughts.
 
If you can think positive, or find something positive to focus on while you are dealing with your Chronic Illness you will find your strength to get through.
 
My strength comes from the Lord.
My hope is in the Lord.
 
I hope you find these tips helpful.
 
Have a wonderful week.
 
Many hugs and blessings
 
Kelly Watts
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment