Friday, February 15, 2013

Why I Am An Artist

(Artwork by Kelly Watts 2011)
 
God has made me a creative spirit.  When I was a young child I used to watch my oldest sister drawing faces and I wanted to be just like her.
Now, she doesn't draw (I don't know why) and I can't get enough of art.
 

(Artwork by Kelly Watts 2010)
 
What does being an artist have to do with my Fibromyalgia/Depression/Anxiety/Joint issues?
 
Well... for one thing God brought me TO it so that I could heal...
then he brought me THROUGH it so that I could share the comfort He gave me to help others heal.
 
When I was in the midst of Depression and anxiety God showed me a way to relax by doodling and art journaling.  I used it to vent those deep seeded emotions that I couldn't handle.  I still use it as a coping mechanism and find it incredibly healing.

(Artwork by Kelly Watts 2012)
 
2Corinthians 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4 who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."
 
Today, I use it also as a great distraction from the physical pain and sometimes as a diversion from negative thoughts.
 
Most of my artwork is made from the comfort of my bed, if not, then I am propped us in one of our recliners or on the couch.
 
Last year I had "Issues" dealing with a lady from my previous health insurance when trying to get on long term disability.  She pointed out that since I was able to create art work and blog about it I should be able to work!
 
You and I see the foolishness of that point right?  I do not think there is a job in this world available where I can work from the comfort of my bed, that does not include stress or straining my brain (brain fog).
 
Artwork is my life-line to accomplishing what God has made me to do.  It does not mean that I am not in extreme pain when I do it, or that I am able to accomplish more because I do it!  It is a blessing because it is the only thing I can do right now!
 
People without Chronic Pain have a hard time understanding that!
 
I pray that you all find or have something that can make you feel accomplished, that can be a wonderful distraction or diversion from your pain.
 
You are deeply loved and understood by me:)
 
Kelly Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment